Supplementary Material for: Impact of Caries Severity/Activity and Psychological Aspects of Caregivers on Oral Health-Related Quality of Life among 5-Year-Old Children
datasetposted on 03.05.2018 by Granville-Garcia A.F., Gomes M.C., Perazzo M.F., Martins C.C., Abreu M.H.N.G., Paiva S.M.
Datasets usually provide raw data for analysis. This raw data often comes in spreadsheet form, but can be any collection of data, on which analysis can be performed.
The aim of the present study was to evaluate the influence of the severity/activity of dental caries as well as sense of coherence (SOC) and locus of control (LOC) on oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) among 5-year-old children. A cross-sectional study was conducted involving 769 children at schools in a city in northeast Brazil. Parents/caregivers answered validated questionnaires addressing SOC and LOC. The children and parents/caregivers answered their respective modules of the Brazilian version of the Scale of Oral Health Outcomes for 5-year-old children (SOHO-5). Data were also collected on sociodemographic characteristics, visits to the dentist, and the occurrence of toothache. Clinical examinations were performed by 2 trained examiners. A directed acyclic graph was used to select covariates for statistical adjustment, and logistic regression for complex samples was used to test associations between the dependent and independent variables (α = 5%). For parents/caregivers, the variables associated with a negative impact on OHRQoL were the occurrence of toothache (odds ratio, OR: 10.53; 95% confidence interval, CI: 6.34–17.51; p < 0.001) and a low SOC (OR: 2.17; 95% CI: 1.37–3.43; p = 0.001). According to the children’s perceptions, the following variables were associated with a negative impact on OHRQoL: toothache (OR: 3.58; 95% CI: 2.30–5.55; p < 0.001), caries activity (OR: 1.97; 95% CI: 1.07–3.62; p = 0.028), and traumatic dental injury (OR: 1.71; 95% CI: 1.15–2.53; p = 0.007). Among parents/caregivers, a low SOC led to poorer OHRQoL. For the children, however, neither psychological aspect affected OHRQoL. In the perception of both the parents/caregivers and children, toothache was the oral condition that exerted a negative impact on OHRQoL.